Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Worn Out and Worn Down" or "No Rest For the Wicked"

This morning I woke up to go do my workout for the day, and something very unexpected happened. My body said, "I don't think so!" I argued with it and started to get ready to leave the house, but every step I took was labored. My body just refused to do anything I wanted it to. I knew what I needed to do. I just needed to go back and rest and give my body a break. And as fun and easy as it sounds, it was hard just to admit I could not workout today. I had to admit to myself it did not matter how strong, tough or determined I think I am, I had to rest.

There is a stigma against resting. We tend to think of rest with laziness. We tend to think if we are not constantly pushing, moving, or working then we are failing as people or believers. However the Scriptures plainly say there still remains a rest for the people of God.

Rest is an important part of our physical and spiritual well being. Physically, rest gives the body time to rebuild and recoup in order to be stronger and healthier for the next time demands are placed on it. Spiritually, rest gives us time to just be with God. Rest is necessary as we strive to reach a lost world with the Gospel. There are times when God just wants to build us up and allow us to be ready for the mission God has planned for us.

So this morning I slept in a little, for tomorrow I get back to work. So, kick back and relax a bit. Then get back to work. You'll be better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment