Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Suggestions?" or "Wonderful Words of Life?"

Last Night, I watched, appalled and dismayed, Rob Bell spend a whole hour talking about Heaven and Hell and mishandling Scripture in such a reckless manner. He kept referring to Hell as an experience here on Earth, and Heaven as a way of living. People would ask pointed questions about heaven and Hell and He would take God's Word and interpret it in such a way that even my 9 year old could see that was not the meaning of the text. But then, it got me thinking, and that is always a dangerous thing.

Aside from the heretical teaching of Rob Bell, how have I handled Scripture in the past? I have to take a honest look and see that there is a real temptation in me to use Scripture in order to make my point. Whether or not it is the right point, is this the reason God has given us His Word?

God has sent us His word for one main reason. (There are many reason we gave us His Word but only one main reason) So we may know Him. Plain and simple, He wants us to get to know who He is. He wants us to interact with Him on a daily basis for purpose of getting to know the One who has created us and this world in which we live. He wants us to be able to see within His heart and mind. And the journey into the heart and mind of God is scary and wonderful adventure in which will absolutely change the very fabric of your being!

This knowledge of Him explains why we have the Law, Grace,Mercy, the Cross, Resurrection, and a host of incredible doctrines. All of this is so we can hear, feel, touch, and experience the unfathomable.

Rob says God is Love. He is right. But, He is so much more than just love. How do I know this.The B-I-B-L-E Yes, that's the book for me. I stand alone on the Word of God, the B-I-B-L-E! The ancient reformers were famous for proclaiming, "Sola Scriptura!" (Scripture Alone) they knew that all we do should be, need to be, desperately has to be based on His word.

Know Him? Read His Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment