Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"OOOHHH, Look Shiny!" or "I Don't Suffer From ADD, I Enjoy Every Minute of It!"

One of the things that have shaped my life is the fact I have ADD. I didn't know I had ADD until about 10 years ago, because when I was a kid there was no ADD. You were just a hyperactive kid or unfocused kid! But I have learned over the years how to live and actually thrive with my ADD. Then a couple of months ago I found a new therapy for ADD. I refuse to take the prescription drugs so this therapy relied on Vitamins and Supplements. I took them and within a week I notice remarkable changes. I was more focused, less distracted. I slept easier. The "voices" (most of them mine) quieted. It seemed the a great solution!

One problem though, I never realized how much I had grown to depend on my ADD. I kept telling Steph things were too quiet. I couldn't come up with answers quite as quickly! I would be so focused I could no longer do 3 things at once! In short, I hated it!! I went off the therapy immediately and now appreciate this "abnormality" in my life. I love my ADD and what it allows me to do. Sure I would to be able to sleep more and easier, but I won't give up what it allows me to do while I am awake! Even as I write this blog I am busy with 3 others things. I am preparing my sermon for Sunday, learning Russian, and checking on my garden.

There will always be things in our lives we will not like about ourselves, but they make us into who we are! They mold and shape us into the people God wants us to be. Embrace the flaws! Celebrate abnormality! Enjoy the dysfunction! You might just find out you would miss them if they left!

No comments:

Post a Comment